The Decordi Winery was born in 1921 as a family-run eatery in which traditional wines and foods of the Cremonese, lower-padana were served. In those times the area was in a vocational state of wine-making and in the original winery Quirico Decordi Senior was producing kegs of typical, red wines, among which could be found Fortana, Ancellotta and Lambrusco, the ideal companions to the local gastronomy which were greatly appreciated with every serving. This appreciation inspired the Decordi family to take a greater interest in wine-making, so much in fact that the founders, moreover than continuing with wine-blending alone, began an artisan wine-production which included both the cultivation of local grapes and the selling of both draft and bottled wines. The Decordi Winery was registered in Cremona’s chamber of commerce in 1937. In 1950 the first significant facility was constructed with a production capacity of over 3,000,000 litres, the main part of which was sold in demijohns and large bottles.
The company was growing and soon afterwards it moved on from inter-municipal business to sales in the neighbouring provinces, both in Lombardy and in Emilia Romagna. In 1964 the production facility was enlarged and was furnished with some of the industry’s first-available, automated bottling systems.